A common concern about leaving medicine is losing your skill set and having the door closed. This can also be an issue if you stay in practice but stop doing certain procedures or surgeries. OB/Gyn physician Dr. Helen Rhodes had a steep uphill climb returning to obstetrics after more than a decade away from the delivery room. We hear the amazing story of how she made it back, the role locum tenens played, and how she found her joy in medicine again. Included are tips for locums and keeping your skills current.
In this episode we’re talking about:
- What led Dr. Helen Rhodes to leave academic medicine
- Dr. Rhode’s difficult road back to obstetrics after a long hiatus
- Suggestions for keeping the clinical door open
- Insider tips for doing locum tenens assignments
- Negotiating your locums tenens offer
- How Helen found joy in the practice of medicine through her GYN-only practice and doing locums
Links for this episode:
PDF on Reentry and Retraining Programs – This PDF on Reentry above will give you a table with information about these programs listed below as well as contact information.
Podcast #15 on Reentry with Dr. Rob Steele
Podcast #24 Locum Tenens – Get the Scoop and Insider tips with Dr. Andrew Wilner
Thank you for listening!
If you love the podcast, we’d LOVE a review:
- Your positive review really helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility. Click here for a video tutorial on how to leave a review. THANK YOU!!
If you’d like to share your thoughts on this episode:
- Leave a comment or question below.
- Send an email to Team@doctorscrossing.com with feedback or suggestions.
Other ways to enjoy the show: