If you graduated from medical school but didn’t complete a residency, it can feel like you’ve spent a long time investing in your career path but aren’t well qualified for any specific jobs. You may want to use your medical knowledge, but think that the doors are only open to those who followed the traditional path. The truth is, there are many different options for you as a medical school graduate. Today we’re going to learn about a very interesting and dynamic position called the Medical Science Liaison, or MSL, which does not require a residency or a medical license. Dr. Maria Abunto, award-winning MSL, is going to share her journey to becoming an MSL and how persistence paved the way. She’ll discuss what an MSL is, how to get into the field, her day-to-day role, and why she loves her work.
In this episode we’re talking about:
- What exactly a medical science liaison (MSL) does
- How Dr. Abunto’s career path led her to her current role
- The qualifications and characteristics needed to become an MSL
- Why Maria feels her MSL career aligns with her passion for public health
- Dr. Abunto’s day-to-day work and how her personality is a great fit
- How networking can play a key role in becoming an MSL
- The importance of finding your “why” when embarking on a career change
Links for this episode:
LinkedIn for Physicians Course – If you’d like to learn how to customize your LinkedIn profile to make it stand out to recruiters, this course walks you through all the steps with short, actionable videos and cheat sheets for each lesson. This course takes the guesswork out of using LinkedIn!
Thank you for listening!
If you love the podcast, we’d LOVE a review:
- Your positive review really helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility. Click here for a video tutorial on how to leave a review. THANK YOU!!
If you’d like to share your thoughts on this episode:
- Leave a comment or question below.
- Send an email to Team@doctorscrossing.com with feedback or suggestions.
Other ways to enjoy the show: