What comes naturally to us, we often take for granted. We may think there is nothing special about our abilities and assume these things are easy for others as well. Not true!
One of the joys of what I do is to help my clients recognize their natural gifts. More often than not, when I point out the natural gifts I see in them, they don’t think there is anything special about these qualities. The gifts are a natural part of their personality, and they just see them as “who they are.” I am not referring here so much to gifts such as great musical, artistic or athletic ability, but rather more specifically to personality traits and character.
Knowing what the natural gifts of your personality type are can be very helpful in career development. The more closely your work aligns with your personality and natural ability, the more satisfaction and success you will have professionally.
Here is a list of 9 Enneagram personality system with their gifts.* Do you see one set of qualities that fit most closely with you? There may be several that you identify with. Sometimes the people closest to us can more readily identify our gifts than we can.
- Type 1 – Perfectionist/Reformer – High sense of integrity, disciplined, hard-working, conscientious, purposeful, idealistic, well-organized, responsible, good attention to detail.
- Type -2 Helper – Helpful to others, generous, supportive, warm, empathetic, caring, self-sacrificing, likable.
- Type 3 – Achiever – Goal-focused, motivating and inspiring to others, ambitious, competent, confident, adaptable; a role-model.
- Type 4 – The Individualist – Creative, sensitive, intuitive, empathetic, aesthetic sensibility, introspective, authentic to self.
- Type 5 – The Observer – Keen observer, perceptive, knowledgeable, innovative, an expert in their field, problem-solver, curious, calm under pressure, strong powers of concentration, keeps confidences well.
- Type 6 – The Loyal Skeptic – Loyal, dutiful, committed, collaborative, team player, trustworthy, well-prepared, responsible, natural trouble-shooter, keen wit, hard-working, persistent.
- Type 7 – The Enthusiast – Enthusiastic, optimistic, high energy, spontaneous, adventurous, engaging, connector of people, quick thinker, versatile, synthesizer of ideas.
- Type 8 – The Challenger – Self-confident, decisive, willing to take risks, protective of others, strong-willed, charismatic, self-reliant, action-oriented, takes initiative, magnanimous, a natural leader.
- Type 9 The Peacemaker – Keeper of the peace, brings harmony to situations, good mediator, able to put themselves in others’ shoes, affable, comforting to others, accepting.
How could knowing your natural personality characteristics be helpful when evaluating your career fit? As an example, if someone with the qualities of #8 is considering a job that would not allow him to take on a leadership role and where he has little decision-making power, he is going to be frustrated, and to a large degree, his natural gifts are going to be wasted. If an individual is most like #6, she will do best in a work environment that is collaborative and supportive, where her hard work and loyalty are not taken for granted, and where she gets to look ahead and problem-solve. Someone with the traits of #9 has natural gifts for conflict resolution and mediation. This knowledge could guide career direction or be advantageous in a current job when this talent is tapped into.
If you are interested in finding out which personality characteristics are strongest in you, click here to take the online RHETI personality test. The cost is $12 for the RHETI independently validated full test.
What comes naturally to you is often a gift. Don’t take these qualities for granted, use them to your advantage.
*Adapted from The Essential Enneagram by David Daniels, M.D., and Virginia Price, Ph.D.
Find what you're looking for:
The Physician's Insider Guide
15 of the most common FAQs on physician career transition
Sign up below to get the resource to jump-start your career transformation! You will also receive the latest blogs and updates from Heather.