Having an adverse patient outcome or a malpractice suit is something we hope we can avoid, but they happen. When they do occur, they can bring on anxiety and depression, take away our joy, and even cause us to leave medicine. Dr. Stacia Dearmin went through a very challenging malpractice lawsuit which inspired her to start her business helping other physicians in similar circumstances. On the podcast, she shares her story with us and key strategies for coping with an adverse outcome or a malpractice suit.
In this episode we’re talking about:
- What happened when Dr. Stacia returned the next evening for her shift in the pediatric ER.
- What it was like for her to deal with an incredibly heart-wrenching patient outcome.
- The different strategies Stacia used to cope immediately after the adverse outcome and the extended time of the malpractice suit.
- The turning point when Dr. Stacia decided she was going to help other physicians.
- Resources and services offered by Stacia through her company Thrive.
Links for this episode:
Thrivephysician.com – Dr. Stacia Dearmin’s website where you can reach out to her directly regarding one-to-one coaching, public speaking, or to read her informative blog.
“Deposition Magic” Course – Learn from Stacia how to best prepare for giving a deposition. Enter the code CARPEDIEM at checkout to receive 10% off.
Let Stacia’s story inspire you! Read it here or watch the video.
Podcast #41 on dealing with shame in medicine – In this episode, we talk about dealing with shame from adverse patient outcomes as well as shame related to leaving medicine.
Thank you for listening!
If you love the podcast, we’d LOVE a review:
- Your positive review really helps other physicians find this podcast and increase the visibility. Click here for a video tutorial on how to leave a review. THANK YOU!!
If you’d like to share your thoughts on this episode:
- Leave a comment or question below.
- Send an email to Team@doctorscrossing.com with feedback or suggestions.
Other ways to enjoy the show: